I just read about this summer camp program. I’m thrilled to share this you as part of the Summer Educational Series. This is an awesome 3 week summer camp for girls enrolled in grades 6-10. Although this program is not free it is well worth the investment in your child’s future. I’m going to start saving for my girls now.
This camp is developed by LearnDistrict, an indie studio based in San Jose, CA. Girls Make Games Summer Camp is an International Summer Camp program which features workshops that encourage girls to to explore the the world of video games. Although 47% of gamers are women only 12% of the game industry are women. These odds are just not right for the future of our girls.
Camp begins June 16th but you must enroll by today, June 8th. Here is an example of what is covered:
- Gameplay models, mechanics, and terminology
- Students learn to create characters and backgrounds in photoshop
- The basic fundamentals and logic of programming.
- Career discussions and presentations with game industry professionals
- Field trips to
- i. Stanford University Dept. of Comp Sci
- ii. Microsoft and Google HQ
- Play Day hosted at Double Fine Studios – One of the top indie game companies
- Teams pitch their final projects to panel of judges from Google Play, USC and Double Fine Studios.
- Top 3 teams win sponsored prizes; First place winner has their game developed by LearnDistrict.
They offer a 5:1 Student to Counselor ratio and College students enrolled in game programs offer on-going mentor-ship after camp ends.
This camp is offered in six locations through out the United States
- Los Angeles, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Boston, MA
- Washington DC
- Seattle, WA
- Denver, CO
- Austin, TX
Click here for Girls Make Games Camp Info