I love PBSKids for my girls, they have some great resources. I previously blogged about their SciGirls program. Today, as part of my Summer Educational Series , my focus is on The Electric Company Summer Learning Program (I will highlight some of the other online programs soon). This is a six-week multimedia program which has a total of 24 sessions, with four 90-minute sessions per week. This program will help me feed my daughters thirst for learning during the summer.
PBSKids has created a curriculum based off The Electric Company. Each session uses the show to develop children’s vocabulary and core math concepts like: addition, subtraction, pattern recognition, representing and analyzing data, telling time, reading and writing numbers, and measurement. The children watch the same episode twice, so that they are exposed to the same words and concepts two sessions in a row. This enhances the depth of the each learning experience.
Every lesson is written out for you. Just follow their guidelines and your set. You can set this up with another Mom and take turns hosting a session or do this one on one with you child. However you decide to do this, be sure to encourage discussions about what they learned. Also, playing some of their online games helps reinforce their lessons or have them draw a picture to express what they’ve learned. Families are also given a bi-weekly newsletters to update parents on what children have been learning.
These are the Features on their program
Key features include:
- 36 hours of summer learning content
- YouTube links to over 3 hours of content packaged into 15-minute narratives
- Online Gaming: 12 levels of The Adventures of Prankster Planet
- 12 interactive group activities
- 24 skill-building activity sheets
- TEC SLP Orientation Training:
– 90-minute orientation training for staff implementing SLP
– PowerPoint presentation detailing TEC approach and SLP curriculum specifics
– Training script to accompany PowerPoint for staff to administer training
Here’s the links for the program:
- Front & Back Covers – Summer Learning Program (PDF)
- Guide – Summer Learning Program (PDF)
- Training Guide – Summer Learning Program (PDF)
- Episode Clips – Summer Learning Program (YouTube)
- Training Presentation – Summer Learning Program (PowerPoint, 77MB)
Take a look and let me know what you think.